SUPERFOOD // BEANS:
Beans provide a steady supply of the brain’s preferred source of fuel, glucose, along with loads of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped (with or without seeds)
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken (or leftover diced turkey)
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup shredded light sharp (old) cheddar cheese (for garnish)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream (for garnish)
- 1 In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and jalapeño and sauté for 2 minutes, until fragrant. If using ground turkey, stir it in, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and sauté until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- 2 Stir in the tomato sauce, stock, squash and beans. If using leftover turkey, add now. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes or just until the squash is tender.
- 3 Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro, cheese and sour cream.