Walnuts contain a number of neuroprotective compounds, including vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants. Consuming high-antioxidant foods like walnuts can decrease the enhanced vulnerability to oxidative stress that occurs in aging, increase health span, and also enhance cognitive and motor function in aging.
- 1/4 cup - chopped walnuts
- 1 - small golden beet, trimmed, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 1 - ripe pear, cored and quartered
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 2 TSP - raw honey
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup - water
- 1 Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender with a few ice cubes and blend until smooth. Garnish with finely chopped walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.