There are 120 varieties of quinoa around the world. Although there are not many nutritional differences between the varieties, there are subtle differences when it comes to flavour and cooking.
For the flavour profile and cooking times of 3 most readily available types of quinoa.
- Most common type of quinoa.
- Also known as yellow or ivory quinoa.
- Light texture.
- Good substitute for rice.
- Takes the least amount of time to cook: 12-15 mins.
- Fluffiest of the quinoas.
- Delicate taste.
- Firm and hearty texture.
- Richer and nuttier taste then white quinoa.
- Holds shape better then white quinoa, making it a great option for cold salads.
- Cook time is slightly longer: 15-17 mins.
- Earthy flavor.
- Slightly sweeter.
- Less iron than red or white.
- Longest cook time: 20 mins.
- Crunchier texture compared to white Quinoa.