Walnuts contain a number of neuroprotective compounds, including vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants. Consuming high-antioxidant foods like walnuts can decrease the enhanced vulnerability to oxidative stress that occurs in aging, increase health span, and also enhance cognitive and motor function in aging.
- 1/2 cup - walnuts
- 1 cup - medjool dates, pited
- 1/2 cup - almond butter (I used raw, organic)
- 1/4 cup - hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup - goji berries
- 1/4 cup - raw cacao nibs
- 1 1/4 cup - unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup - dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 1 Pulse walnuts and dates in food processor until well mixed.
- 2 Add almond butter, hemp hearts, goji berries, cacao nibs, and chocolate chips and ¼ cup of coconut flakes and continue mix again until all ingredients are well mixed.
- 3 Remove from food processor and place in bowl.
- 4 If the coconut flakes you have are large, I recommend giving them a good spin in the food processor so they’re tiny flakes and then place in a separate bowl. If not, skip this step and place coconut flakes in separate bowl.
- 5 Form the dough into 15 balls, rolling each one in the coconut flakes.