Whether eaten or used as aromatherapy, cinnamon has demonstrated that it can aid in cognitive function to boost memory and prevent Alzheimer’s.
- 1 - medium sweet potato
- 1 - granny smith apple
- 2 - large eggs
- 1/2 TBSP - baking powder
- 1/2 TSP - pink salt
- 1 1/2 TSP - ground cinnamon
- 3 TBSP - oat flour or gluten-free flour
- 3 TBSP - coconut oil or organic butter (for frying)
- 1 Peel and grate sweet potato and apple. Using a clean kitchen towel, cheese cloth, nut milk bag, or fine mesh strainer, squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible (don’t skip this step!). Discard liquid, and transfer grated sweet potato and apple to a medium sized bowl.
- 2 Add the eggs and give it a good mix, then add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour to the bowl. Mix well.
- 3 Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Before you begin frying, test oil by dropping a shred and make sure it’s hot enough.
- 4 Once the oil is hot, use a soup spoon to scoop out the mixture (a heaping spoonful), gently drop into hot pan, and use the back of the spoon to flatten out the latke. Continue, in batches, with the entire mixture. Add more oil the pan as needed.
- 5 Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 6 Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- 7 Serve warm with your favourite condiment.