Olive oil is a great source of monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to actually slow brain aging.
Since the brain uses 20% of total oxygen intake, it’s prone to oxidation and free radical damage. Olive oil is high in antioxidants known as polyphenols. It contains over 30 phenolic compounds that are potent antioxidants and free radical scavengers.
Olive Oil Carrot Muffins
5 mins 30 mins 12
- 1/2 cup - light olive oil
- 1/2 cup - applesauce
- 1/2 cup - raw cane sugar, such as turbinado
- 2 TSP - ground cinnamon
- 1 TSP - ground ginger
- 1/4 TSP - ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups - coarsely grated carrot
- 1 cup - water
- 2 cups - whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup - instant oats
- 1/2 cup - raisins or chopped, pitted dates
- 2 TSP - baking powder
- 1/2 TSP - baking soda
- 1/2 TSP - fine salt
- 1 Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with oil or line with paper muffin liners.
- 2 Stir the olive oil, applesauce, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together well in a large bowl. Add the carrot and water and stir to combine. Add the flour, oats, raisins or dates, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold these dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until there are no more floury patches left.
- 3 Divide the batter between the wells in the muffin tin. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the tin for 15 minutes — they may sink a bit as they cool. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and cool completely.
Tips:The muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days..
Substitutions:This batter has applesauce and grated carrots for moisture, spices for flavor, and raisins for pops of sweetness (although if you're a raisin-hater, chopped dates are a delicious substitute)
They're pretty stellar with a bit of cashew or coconut butter smeared on top. I'm also pretty sure that a little bit of salty cream cheese (or non-dairy cream cheese if you're vegan) would match well too.