Arugula also contains high levels of vitamin C which will add an anti oxidant boost.
- 1/2 cup - sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 - handfuls of arugula
- 1 TBSP - almonds (chopped)
- 1 TSP - lemon zest (about half a medium lemon)
- 1 1/2 TBSP - lemon juice (about half a medium lemon)
- 2 - garlic cloves (grated)
- Soft goat cheese
- Nob of ghee
- 1 TSP - extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 TSP - fresh cracked pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Gluten free pasta of choice (I used ancient quinoa harvest organic spaghetti)
- 1 Fill a small pot with water and heavily salt the water; this is crucial to flavour the pasta. When it comes to a boil add your pasta and for the first minute or so stir the pasta to make sure it doesn’t stick together. Bring the heat down to a simmer. The pasta will take anywhere form 6 – 9 minutes to cook (again this is for a single serving).
- 2 While your pasta is cooking toast your chopped almonds in a large pan over medium-high heat. This should take about 3 minutes or so, just until they are slightly darkened (not burnt!) Then pour them in a dish and set aside.
- 3 In the same large pan add your ghee and heat the pan back over medium heat. Toss in the shiitakes and after 2 minutes add your grated garlic. Sautee together for another 3 minutes. At this point you can turn the heat off and set aside until your pasta is done.
- 4 You want to cook the pasta until it’s ‘al dente’ because it will finish cooking in the pan. Strain your pasta reserving about ¼ cup of the pasta water. Rinse your pasta with cool water to help prevent from sticking. I know there may be many opinions on this, but gluten free pasta can be tricky and nobody likes gluey, gummy pasta. So I find this method really helps.
- 5 Put your mushroom pan back over medium heat add your pasta, lemon zest, lemon juice, almonds, 1/8 tsp. fresh cracked pepper, sea salt to taste and about 2 tbsp. of pasta water (you can use more if you wish.)
- 6 Heat for about 5 minutes and during the last minute add in the arugula. Once wilted your dish is ready to serve, do not over cook the arugula.
- 7 Drizzle in the tsp. of olive oil and top with soft goat cheese, stir through and voila! A delicious pasta meal that is full of wholesome nutrients.