SUPERFOOD // SALMON:
One of the best fish to eat for brain health is Salmon. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids known to be highly beneficial to brain health.
More than two-thirds of the brain’s fatty acids are made up of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), an omega-3 fatty acid found primarily in oily fish. Our body is incapable of making DHA on its own, therefore we must obtain it from our diet.
As you age, DHA levels in your brain decline. This deterioration has been linked to memory loss, mood disorders, cognitive decline, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), reduced brain volume and Alzheimer’s disease. Just 2 servings a week will give you the omega-3s you need. Try these Smoked Salmon Sushi Squares with Wasabi Mayo.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 2 cups (500 mL) sushi rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 16 thin slices English cucumber (unpeeled)
- 4 oz (125 g) smoked salmon
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) wasabi (Japanese horseradish)
- 1 sheet nori (dried seaweed)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- low sodium soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger on the side (optional)
- 1 Combine the rice and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 2 While the rice cooks, combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.
- 3 Turn the rice out into a large bowl. Stir in the vinegar and sugar mixture. Cool just until the rice no longer feels hot. Don’t let the rice get cold, or it will dry out.
- 4 Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with plastic wrap. Cover the bottom with the cucumber slices. Lay the smoked salmon overtop. Mix the mayonnaise and wasabi together and spread over the salmon.
- 5 Place half the rice over the mayonnaise. Pat it firmly to an even thickness, dipping your fingers in water to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands. Top with the nori. Add the remaining rice, patting it firmly to an even thickness.
- 6 Invert onto a serving platter and cut into 16 pieces. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Serve at room temperature, garnished with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger if desired.