Strawberries and blueberries contain high levels of compounds called polyphenolics, which can help the brain carry out various “housekeeping” functions.
- 16 oz. - ripe fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup - balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup - granulated sugar
- 4 oz - young soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup - heavy whipping cream
- 1 Hull and finely slice the strawberries. Arrange them in a layered, circular pattern on a large plate or four smaller ones (for individual portions). Keep cool in the fridge while preparing the rest.
- 2 Make the caramel by bringing the balsamic vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Once the mixture is boiling, turn down the heat and let it reduce on a light simmer until it coats the spoon like a thick syrup (about 10 to 15 minutes). Don’t overcook it or it will get too hard. If that’s the case, you can still save it by adding a little bit of water (1 teaspoon at a time) to the slightly warm caramel.
- 3 To make the Chantilly, beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. In another bowl, whip the goat cheese until it softens and then gently fold it into the whipped cream.
- 4 Put it all together by adding a generous dollop of the Chantilly to the center of the arranged strawberries — or squeeze it from a pastry bag to make it more decorative. Finally, drizzle the balsamic caramel on top and enjoy immediately!