Cauliflower is a fibrous and hearty cruciferous vegetable, full of anti-inflammatory nutrients and vitamins.
Even better, this versatile veg is able to take on flavours easily, can be used as a substitute for other ingredients and can be cooked in many different ways!
Check out these 5 different ways to make cauliflower go from side dish, to the star of the show.
- Roasted whole cauliflower head or florets are a simple and tasty way to bring out the crispy, caramelized flavour of this vegetable.
- Season the cauliflower with S&P and your spices of choice.
- Drizzle lightly with oil.
- Roast at 400°F for 20-30 minutes (longer for a whole head) until golden brown and so that you can easily pierce with a fork.
Cauliflower rice is a grain-free, low carb alternative to traditional rice.
Simply add chopped cauliflower to a food processor and give it a few pulses until it’s rice sized.
- To cook the “rice”, season it, add oil to a pan and sauté. Or roast the cauliflower in a sheet pan in the oven.
- Customize toppings with your favourite veg or garnish.
Check out this Cauliflower Rice with Sautéed Onions recipe
Similar to cauliflower rice, a cauliflower mash is a low carb alternative to mashed potato.
Cook the cauliflower; steam, boil, or roast it.
- Next sauté garlic in a pan with butter. Once garlic is cooked, puree all the ingredients together.
- For the best results, use an immersion blender or food processor to get the cauliflower creamy, like mashed potatoes.
- Garnish and voila!
Prepare an outdoor bbq or grill to medium-high heat. Or heat the oven to 400°F.
Cut cauliflower vertically from stem to tip in 1 inch to 1.5 inch thick “steaks”.
Add cauliflower steaks to a baking sheet and then season with oil and your favourite grilling spices such as chili powder, smoked paprika and garlic salt.
Place steaks oil side down on the grill and let cook for 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 minutes till both sides of the cauliflower are golden brown and smoky.
Check out this Cauliflower Steaks with Pine Nut, Currant & Herb Salsa recipe
5. AIR FRYER:
Cut up cauliflower into small and medium florets.
Lightly coat in oil and toss in a spice mix such as za’atar and S&P.
Heat air fryer to 370°F and add florets to air fryer basket in an even, single layer.
- Fry for 15-20 minutes or till cauliflower is golden brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of lemon or tahini and chopped parsley or cilantro.
Read more on the benefits of cauliflower here!