SURPERFOOD // GARLIC:
“Cozy up to a warm bowl of flavor this fall with this Stewed Tomato Chicken and tomato dish. One of my favourite ways to serve this is with Basmati rice or Naan bread.“
Recipe by Roger Mooking Courtesy of SUNSET®
Campari® Stewed Tomato Chicken
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or Grapeseed oil
- 2 C sliced white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 14 whole black olives
- ½ C dry white wine (Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc work well)
- 2 lbs Campari® tomatoes
- 2 C chicken stock
- 3 pinches Saffron threads
- 4 Tbsp chopped green onion
- Kosher salt to season
- ground black peppercorn to season
- 1 Preheat a large, high-sided pan or a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2 Cut chicken into 8 pieces. Season all portions well on both sides with salt and pepper.
- 3 Add oil to skillet to heat. Place chicken, skin side down, in hot skillet and sear for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip chicken and sear for another 2 to 3 minutes until both sides are well browned but not burnt. Remove chicken from skillet and reserve on a tray.
- 4 Reduce heat to medium and add white onion and garlic cloves and sweat until translucent. Add olives to skillet and stir, onions should brown slightly. Over high heat, deglaze skillet with white wine and reduce the liquid by half. Reserve 4 tomatoes and cut each into 6 wedges and set aside. Score remaining tomatoes and squeeze them by hand into skillet and reduce heat to medium to bring to the simmer. Add chicken stock to skillet and bring mixture to a boil. Return the reserved chicken back to skillet, skin side up. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until the volume of liquid is reduced by a third, about 30-35 minutes. Gently stir occasionally to prevent stew from sticking to pan. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the reserved tomato wedges to the stew. Add saffron threads and gently mix into the liquid without breaking chicken portions. Season to taste.