SUPERFOOD // CHOCOLATE:
I’ve modified a regular lava cake to make a healthier version, which also happens to be gluten and dairy free. Cacao found in good quality dark chocolate has been found to have a higher antioxidant value than blueberries or acai berries. The flavanoids can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. Besides the taste, my favourite quality is the magnesium content. Chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium, which is a muscle relaxant, therefore helping ease the possible cramps associated with menstruating (and may explain why many women crave chocolate around their period!).
Recipe by Mandy King, HEAL
- 6 oz or 170g of Camino dark chocolate + 7 leftover squares
- ⅔ cup coconut oil
- 6 eggs
- ¼ + ⅛ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut icing sugar (I just used regular coconut sugar and ground it up in a coffee grinder)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Preheat oven to 450F.
- 2 Melt and combine the 6 oz of Camino chocolate with coconut oil.
- 3 In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
- 4 Mix in melted chocolate and coconut oil and vanilla.
- 5 Mix in the flours and coconut sugar (I just used a whisk).
- 6 Line ramekins with coconut oil and our batter into individual ramekins.
- 7 Carefully place 1 square of dark chocolate in the center and move ramekin around so that it covers the piece of chocolate.
- 8 Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until it has risen.
- 9 Top with vanilla or coconut ice cream, or some berries.