SUPERFOOD // COFFEE:
Recent studies show that caffeine can boost brain power, delay Alzheimer’s disease and improve memory as you age. Caffeine blocks inflammation in the brain that begins the minds cognitive decline. Coffee can also protect against type 2 diabetes which can lead to Alzheimer’s. Enjoy a double shot of coffee with my Espresso Biscotti with Toasted Pecans and your favourite coffee drink.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 2 Tbsp instant espresso granules
- Dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil.
- 2 Combine the dissolved espresso, granulated and brown sugars, oil, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl, stirring until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and pecans. Mix only until the flour is combined. Divide the batter in half and form into two 12- by 3-inch logs.
- 3 Place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them well apart.
- 4 Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into ½-inch slices and place them flat on the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp. Cool on a rack.