SUPERFOOD // GARLIC:
If you’re a fan of garlic, there’s good news for you — and your brain. This pungent herb, packed full of health benefit, has been used in cooking and for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. Garlic may protect the brain from age-related diseases like dementia and Alzheimer’s by making the brain more resilient to the stress and inflammation associated with neurological diseases and aging. Roasted garlic adds wonderful depth of flavours to my Flank Steak with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Garlic recipe.
Flank Steak with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Garlic
I’m always looking for ways to serve flank steak that are interesting and tasty. Grilling this cut and then slicing across the grain is the bet way to go! So here I’ve caramelized a load of onions and whole roasted garlic cloves and created a moist and delicious topping that also serves as a vegetable. The key is to sauté the onions on a medium low heat and stir often.
The phytochemicals in onions improve the working of vitamin C in the body, giving you better immunity. Onions lower cholesterol and help to maintain a healthy blood pressure, all reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Children may not be a fan of sautéed sliced onions or whole garlic cloves. You’re best to sauté finely diced vegetables that they enjoy such as bell peppers, snow peas and corn. The smaller the size the better the chance they will enjoy it.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 large white onion sliced into rounds
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 large garlic head (cloves and skin removed)
- 1 ½ lb flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 In a large skillet, add oil and onions and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes, just until soft. Add Worcestershire, brown sugar and whole garlic cloves and continue to sauté covered on a low medium heart for another 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until garlic soften and onions begin to caramelize.
- 2 Meanwhile preheat oven to 425 F. Season steak with salt and pepper. In a hot grill pan spray with vegetable oil add steak to sear on both sides about 5 minutes. Place on baking sheet. Cook steak just until it reaches temperature desired. Medium rare is about 130 F., or about 10 minutes.
- 3 Slice steak thinly, and serve with onions and roasted garlic over top
- 4 Garnish with parsley.