SUPERFOOD // BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
The antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin found in butternut squash helps maintain cognitive health including language, learning and memory. Just one cup of butternut squash packs in enough Vitamin E which is linked to a lower risk of Alzheimers risk.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 lb gnocchi (about 1 3/4 cups/435 mL)
- 8 cups lightly packed chopped trimmed kale leaves
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
- 1 Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Spray a 9×13-inch (23×33 cm) casserole dish with vegetable oil.
- 2 In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, squash and red pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the squash is tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3 Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and return the water to a boil. Boil for 4 or 5 minutes, just until the gnocchi rise to the surface and are tender. Stir in the kale during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
- 4 Add the cooked gnocchi and kale to the squash mixture and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, and gently toss to combine.
- 5 Transfer the gnocchi mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the mozzarella. Bake for 5 minutes or just until the cheese has melted.