Eggs & low-fat milk are excellent sources of vitamin B12, an important protein to maintain cognitive skills
- 12 - free range eggs (2 per person)
- 2 - leeks, rinsed
- 1 - pint cherry tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 - bunch asparagus (or arugula, season dependent)
- 1 cup - loosely chopped basil
- 1 - bulb garlic
- 1 TBSP - sunflower oil
- 1 cup - 1% milk
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 Frittatas are a perfect brunch dish that you can prepare ahead of time, then cook right as guests arrive.
- 2 Preheat oven to 375ºF. Roast the garlic until golden brown and soft, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice and soak leeks to be sure all the grit is removed. Then sweat in a medium-hot pan until completely soft almost caramelized (30-40 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 3 Slice asparagus diagonally and length wise, so that you have clean edges for each frittata. Slice cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise. If you are preparing this dish the night before, place 1 tablespoon of leeks and 1 piece of roasted garlic in each dish along with some basil and the cherry tomatoes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 4 When ready to serve, mix all eggs and milk with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour milk over the vegetables in each ramekin and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the eggs appear solid. Serve immediately.