SUPERFOOD // Sablefish:
This sophisticated Miso Glazed Sablefish with Khao Moak Rice is sure to impress your guests in both style and flavour!
Like salmon and halibut, sablefish is loaded with brain-protective omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin B12. Sablefish, also known as black cod is low in mercury.
Miso Glazed Sablefish with Khao Moak Rice
Recipe & Photography courtesy of Jenny Hui of The Lazy Gourmet
- 6 (5 ounce) Sablefish fillets (also called Black Cod)
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 banana leaves
- 4 cups cooked Thai rice
- 5 Makrut lime leaves
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp red curry paste
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup red peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 Two days ahead, make the marinade and marinate the fish!
- 2 Boil the sake and mirin in a small saucepan for 20 seconds.
- 3 Turn the heat down to low, add the miso and whisk.
- 4 Turn up the heat, add the sugar, and whisk until dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- 5 Pat the fish dry with paper towels.
- 6 Place fish in a glass or porcelain dish, and then spread the marinade over the fish. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, place the dish in the refrigerator, and leave to marinate for 2-3 days.
- 7 TO COOK RICE
- 8 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 9 Line a 9x13 casserole dish with the banana leaves. Make sure the leaves are hanging over the dish. Set aside.
- 10 Place cooked rice in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 11 Chop limes leaves until very fine. Place in small bowl.
- 12 Cut green onions into small pieces and place in the lime leaves bowl. Set aside.
- 13 In a medium sauce pan over high heat, heat oil and fry garlic until golden brown. Add curry paste and reduce heat. Add approximately 2 T of boiling water to make a sauce.
- 14 Add mushrooms and red peppers. Sauté.
- 15 Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, lime juice, salt, and curry powder. Stir until the sauce is thick. Remove from heat.
- 16 Add the sauce, lime leaves, and green onions to the rice. Mix together.
- 17 Place into the lined casserole dish. Fold banana leaves over the rice so that the rice is enclosed.
- 18 Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- 19 TO COOK FISH
- 20 Wipe off excess miso.
- 21 Broil until the fish is caramelized on top and begins to flake or its internal temperature reaches 145°F (approx. 7-10 minutes).
- 22 Enjoy!