SURPERFOOD // EGGS:
“I love pickling summer vegetables to enjoy as the seasons change. Try this colourful dish with flavours from around the world.”
- Rice // 1 1/2 c dry medium grain rice
- Ribeye Steak // 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Ribeye Steak // 1 tsp sesame oil
- Ribeye Steak // 1/2 tsp white sugar
- Ribeye Steak // 1/4 tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
- Ribeye Steak // 8 oz. rib eye steak, sliced into thin strips, approximately
- Ribeye Steak // 1/4” x 2” strips
- Ribeye Steak // 1 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- Carrots // 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Carrots // 1 c grated carrot
- Carrots // 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- Carrots // 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Mushrooms // 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mushrooms // 3 c sliced cremini mushrooms
- Mushrooms // 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Mushrooms // 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Spinach // 2 c packed baby spinach
- Spinach // 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- Spinach // 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Spinach // 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Pickled Aloha™ Peppers // 1 tsp kosher salt
- Pickled Aloha™ Peppers // 1 tsp white sugar
- Pickled Aloha™ Peppers // 1/2 c boiling water
- Pickled Aloha™ Peppers // 1/2 c white wine vinegar
- Pickled Aloha™ Peppers // 1 1/2 c Aloha™ peppers, sliced into strips, approximately 1/2” x 1 1/2-2”
- 1 Rice // Prepare rice according to package instructions. Cover to keep warm until ready to assemble.
- 2 Ribeye Steak // In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and pepper until sugar is dissolved. Add steak strips and gently toss to coat evenly with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Just prior to serving, preheat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add ½ tbsp of vegetable oil and sear off half the steak until browned and slightly caramelized, but still tender about 30 seconds per side. Repeat with the remaining oil and steak strips. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- 3 Carrots // In a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add vegetable oil and quickly sauté grated carrot until slightly tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and toss with soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside. Reserve the skillet to use in the next steps.
- 4 Mushrooms // Using the same non-stick skillet over high heat, add vegetable oil and quickly sauté sliced mushrooms until slightly tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to bowl and toss with soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- 5 Spinach // Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add baby spinach to the boiling water and stir until slightly wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse spinach well under cold water to stop the cooking process. Squeeze out excess water, then dress with soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Mix well and set aside.
- 6 Pickled Aloha™ Peppers // In a stainless steel or heat proof glass bowl, add salt and sugar and pour in boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Add vinegar and Aloha™ pepper strips. Let stand uncovered for at least 20 minutes to make a quick pickle; the liquid should return to room temperature in that time.
NotesPutting it Together:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Ribeye Steak
- Carrots, mushrooms, spinach, 1 1/2 c pickled Aloha™ peppers
- 1 egg, sunny side up
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black peppercorns to taste
- 3/4 c kimchi, for serving