SUPERFOOD // COCONUT:
Coconut milk is a great “brain food” because the calories in coconut milk can provide a quick and efficient source of energy for the brain. The brain is actually primarily made up of fat and relies on a steady stream of it to function properly.
Alzheimer’s patients have a reduced ability to use glucose for energy in parts of their brain. If you run out of glucose, your body converts stored fats into ketones, which are then transported to the brain.
Coconut milk also contains types of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) which are easily used by your brain for energy, without even needing to be processed through your digestive tract like some other fats. This allows energy to flow to the brain and reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s.
Try adding some coconut to your meal with my recipe for Pineapple Scallop Stir-Fry with Coconut Hoisin Sauce.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 12 oz. large scallops
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli (including stems)
- 2 cups sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced fresh or canned pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp chopped green onions
- 1 Make the coconut hoisin sauce by whisking together the coconut milk, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, peanut butter, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, chili sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- 2 Lightly coat a nonstick grill pan (or wok) with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and sauté until the flesh is opaque and center is slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 3 Steam or boil the broccoli for 2 minutes just until tender. Drain well. Re-spray the pan (or wok) and reduce the heat to medium. Add the broccoli and the red bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- 4 Add the sauce and scallops and stir-fry for another 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens and all the ingredients are heated through. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with pineapple, cilantro and green onions.