SUPERFOOD // QUINOA:
The super grain quinoa offers a double punch of nutrition by being both high in fiber and in protein. Often referred to as the super grain, quinoa is high in fiber and high-quality protein. In fact, it contains more protein than any other grain while also packing in iron and potassium. One half cup of quinoa has 14 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. Quinoa is a tiny grain that cooks up like rice and has a mild, nutty flavor and a light, fluffy texture similar to couscous. These flavours pair perfectly with the earthy flavours of Portobello mushrooms in my recipe for Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk or water
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 2 Tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 6 rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix the egg and milk. Combine panko and Parmesan. Dip the Portobellos into the egg wash and then the panko crumbs. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 15 minutes or just until tender. Drain off excess liquid.
- 2 Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes and place in a bowl.
- 3 Add remaining ingredients and mix. Fill mushroom cups with quinoa stuffing Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top and bake for 2 minutes.