Fatty fish like sardines & salmon are brain boosters, thanks to the omega-3 fatty acids, EPA & DHA, and improve focus & memory
- 8 - plum or roma tomatoes (use local, where possible)
- 12-16 oz - atlantic salmon
- 2 TBSP - dried oregano
- 2 - handfuls fresh basil, loosely chopped
- 2 - garlic bulbs
- 2 TBSP - dried fennel seed
- 3 TBSP - extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup - standard balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP - brown sugar
- Sea salt and pepper
- Parchment paper
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 425F. Slice tomatoes in half, widthwise (so the shape remains round) and lay out cut side up on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slice garlic bulbs in half (width wise) and place on the same sheet. Season the garlic and tomatoes with olive oil, salt/pepper, dried oregano and the fennel seed then mix well. Roast for 40 minutes, checking them at least once. The tomatoes should be soft and have blackened edges, and retain some texture. You can test the garlic’s doneness by squeezing softly with a pair of tongs. The garlic should be easily squeezed out of the shell.
- 2 Once blackened and cool, the garlic can be smashed out of its skin - what you’re left with is a sweet garlic paste. Continue roasting if the garlic is not yet soft enough to smash.
- 3 While roasting, make the balsamic glaze. In a small pot, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, and cook over a medium heat until it reduces by half (15 minutes). The heat and sugar will thicken the vinegar to a glaze.
- 4 To serve the tomatoes and garlic, mix together in a bowl with a fork, so the tomatoes fall apart and incorporate with the garlic, but remain chunky (thicker than a salsa). Add chopped basil.
- 5 Dress the salmon with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Grill, or place in a searing hot, oiled pan skin side down, and let cook for 5-6 minutes. The fish will lift off the pan when it’s ready. Flip, then bake in a 350F oven for 8 minutes. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- 6 Scoop out the tomato/garlic mixture and spread across a plate. This dish would be beautiful served family style. Place salmon on the tomatoes, then drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salmon and serve immediately.