SUPERFOOD // CHOCOLATE:
If you want some healthy chocolate for your brain this recipe works perfectly. And all you need is a small piece. And who doesn’t love Turtle chocolate pecan clusters? Well, think about eating this in cheesecake form.
Recipe & Photography courtesy of Rose Reisman of Art of Living Well
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) light ricotta cheese (500g)
- 3/4 cup cubed light cream cheese (6oz/175g)
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) white sugar
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) light sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) dark chocolate, finely copped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) caramel sauce (ice cream topping)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) dark chocolate finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped pecans)
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan with vegetable oil.
- 2 To make the crust: Place the crumbs, water and oil in a small bowl and mix well. Pat into the bottom of the pan.
- 3 To make the cheesecake: Place both cheeses, both sugars, egg, vanilla, sour cream and flour in a large food processor. Purée until smooth. Remove one cup (250 mL) of the batter and place in a small bowl.
- 4 Melt ⅓ cup (80 mL) of the chocolate chips in a bowl and microwave on Defrost for 2 minutes or until almost melted. Mix until smooth. Add to the reserved 1 cup cheesecake batter and pour over the cookie crust.
- 5 Drizzle the caramel sauce overtop. Pour the remaining batter overtop and bake for 45 minutes or until almost set. Cool.
- 6 To make the topping: Melt the chocolate and milk under high heat in a microwave oven for 25 seconds. Mix until smooth. Cool, then spread on top of the cheesecake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Nutrition information per serving
Protein 7.7 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fiber 1 g
Total fat 12 g
Saturated fat 6 g
Cholesterol 31 mg