Greek and Regular Yogurt are more similar than you might imagine. They are made by fermenting milk and adding bacterial culture – which is great for digestive health.
What Is Greek Yogurt?
- Is regular yogurt that has been additionally strained
- Contains more whey and lactose is removed from the straining process
- Has a stronger, tangy flavour
- 2x the protein
- 3x the fat
- 1/2 the sodium
- Uses more milk because of the straining process
- A good substitute for sour cream, mayo and to make tzatziki
- Is more expensive than regular yogurt because it uses milk
What Is Regular Yogurt?
- An unstrained yogurt
- Has a smooth and creamy texture
- Slightly sour taste
- Sweeter than Greek yogurt
- More calcium and sodium
- Great for smoothies or marinades
Which Yogurt To Choose?
Both regular yogurt and Greek yogurt are a great choice for health:
- They are both rich in probiotics
- Both are complete with proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
- Excellent sources of calcium, magnesium, vitamin B12, and iodine.
Choose the best option that works for your culinary application or taste preference.