Kale is an excellent source of omega-3, the best type of fat to promote brain health. Kale also contains vitamin K, a powerful anti-oxidant that protects the structure of brain cells.
Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
5 mins 20 mins 8
- 2 - bunches kale (about 1 pound total), tough stems and ribs stripped out, leaves sliced
- 1 cup - low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 - butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 - red onion, sliced
- 4 - pitted dates, very finely chopped
- 2 TBSP - sherry vinegar
- 1 Put kale and 1/2 cup vegetable broth in a large pot and place over medium heat. Cook, covered, stirring frequently, until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes. Add squash and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until kale and squash are tender but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 2 Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 cup broth, onion, dates and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer, uncovered, until onion is very tender and liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Cool, toss with kale and butternut and serve room temperature or chilled.