SUPERFOOD // BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Recipe Credit: Naturally Nora
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 cups coconut milk (or any other milk alternative)
- 1.5 cups chicken stock or broth (if none on hand, I use 1 organic chicken bouillon cube mixed with 1.5 cups boiling water)
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp garlic (or to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish: arugula sprouts
- 1 Cut top and bottom of butternut squash and use knife to carefully cut remaining skin off. Cut in half and scoop out seeds (you can put them aside to roast if interested). Chop squash into small cubes.
- 2 Cut op and bottom of sweet potato and use knife to carefully cut remaining skin off. Cut in half and chop into small cubes.
- 3 Dice the sweet onion.
- 4 In a large stock pot, melt butter (or coconut oil) and add diced onion. Salute about 3-5 minutes until it starts to soften and then add squash and sweet potato cubes.
- 5 Saute an additional 5 minutes until squash starts to brown.
- 6 Add coconut milk, chicken stock and spices and bring to a simmer. Simmer about 20 minutes until veggies are soft.
- 7 Use a blender or hand blender to puree until smooth.
- 8 Serve warm or make ahead and reheat for a fast meal addition.
- Pair with your favourite protein and side salad for a hearty winter dinner
- Consume on its own with a heaping mound of sprouts for a lighter lunch
- Heat on the stove top early in the morning and pour into your favourite travel coffee mug and sip on your way to work for a satiating, warming breakfast