Kale is high in lutein, an important natural antioxidant that supports brain health as we age.
- 3 - medium bunches kale, ribs removed, torn into roughly 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 TSP - freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 TSP - salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups - heavy cream
- 1 TBSP - sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- 2 Pile the kale in a 9x13-inch baking dish (or something a bit larger). Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper (to taste), then carefully drizzle the cream over it. Spread out the cheese slices over the kale.
- 3 Place the gratin dish on a baking sheet to catch any cream that drips out as the gratin cooks. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour; you want the cream to thicken and the cheese to brown nicely. The outer shell of kale will crisp up, like kale chips — you want this!
- 4 Let the gratin cool for a few minutes, then serve.