The presence of Vitamin K and anthocyanins within cabbage can give a strong boost to mental function and concentration.
Rainbow Root Slaw
15 mins 5 mins 1-3
- 1 - small head of cabbage, green or purple
- 1 - small purple beet
- 1 - small yellow beet
- 1-2 - lacto-fermented pickes
- 2-3 - carrots
- 1/2 cup - tahini
- 1/4 cup - pickle/kraut brine
- 1/2 cloves - garlic, minced
- 1 - lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup - lukewarm water, to thin
- 1 Wash and core your cabbage, discarding the outer leaves. Run it through your food processor with the grater attachment on. Alternatively, carefully grate it over a mandolin or by hand using a box grater. Empty the cabbage into a large salad bowl.
- 2 Wash and peel your carrots if necessary and run them through the food processor as well. Toss them into the salad bowl.
- 3 Peel both beets, careful to watch surrounding surfaces and clothes as purple beets are quite pigmented and can stain. Grate these as well, or slice them very thinly so they fold like ribbons. Toss them on top.
- 4 Small dice the pickles and add them in.
- 5 Assemble the dressing by adding everything to the food processor, adding only 2 TBSP of water at a time and drizzling more in as needed. Alternatively, whisk by hand or blend in a high-speed blender (you’ll want to mince the garlic first unless you’re working with a Vitamix or similar).
- 6 Pour the dressing over your slaw and serve. It’s best prepared a few hours before consumption, to give the slaw time to absorb the dressing and soften the cabbage.