SUPERFOODS // APPLE:
This Baked Apple and Pear dish is a healthy, sweet treat that is a fall favourite. Make sure to use an apple that holds its shape when baked like Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji or Granny Smith.
Apples have high levels of the antioxidant quercetin. Quercetin blocks free radicals, which can cause damage to the brain. The skin of the apples contains the majority of the quercetin, so make sure to eat the whole apple to get all of its benefits.
Photography Courtesy of Joyous Health
- 3 beets, unpeeled, cut into chunks
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours or overnight
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Place beets in a covered baking dish with 1/4 inch of water. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until beets are fork tender. Let cool slightly once cooked.
- 2 In a food processor, combine beets, cashews, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth or desired consistency.
- 3 Store in an airtight container for up to one week.