SURPERFOOD // TUNA
“A definite winner for feeling satisfied and still feeling light on your feet. This dish is great for outdoor summer grilling.”
Recipe by Roger Mooking // Courtesy of SUNSET®
Seared Tuna and Kumato® Salad
- 1 lb Kumato® tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 C red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 9 oz piece sushi grade Ahi tuna
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp flat lead parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh chives, finely sliced
- Pinch of red thai chill, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp fresh garlic, puréed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 Cut each tomato into quarters and place on a platter with cut sides up. Sprinkle evenly with salt and set aside.
- 2 Preheat a large pan to medium heat.
- 3 Pat tuna steak dry with a paper towel then season with salt and pepper. Add oil to pan and add tuna, gently pressing so the entire surface touches. Sear for 2 minutes. Using a thin offset spatula, very gently flip the tuna, pressing down gently and searing for another 2 minutes.
- 4 When done, transfer tuna to a lipped plate. Pour orange juice and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the entire steak. Flip occasionally and allow to cool to room temperature, about 8 minutes. Reserve juices.
- 5 In a small bowl combine parsley, chives, thai child, garlic, and remaining extra virgin olive oil. Pour reserved juices into the bowl and mix.
- 6 Using a sharp knife, cut steak against the grain into long strips about 1″ wide. Using your hands, gently pull apart at its natural grain lines into chunks the size of a strawberry.
- 7 Arrange tomatoes on a platter and garnish with red onion. Place the steak pieces around the tomatoes and spoon dressing over top.