SUPERFOOD // WATERMELON:
This salad is not only filled with nutrients but a real eye pleaser and absolutely delicious. The combination of tomatoes, watermelon pistachios and feta is a perfect salad on a hot summer day. Tomatoes are low in fat, high in fibre and a source of many vitamins and minerals with very little calories. They contain an antioxidant that has been shown to be a brain-boosting food and can prevent dementia.
Recipe by Rose Reisman
- 4 cups baby arugula or baby spinach
- 1 cup small red or yellow grape tomatoes
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/3 cup diced reduced fat feta cheese
- ⅓ cup toasted chopped pistachios
- ¼ cup chopped mint or parsley
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar [dressing]
- ¼ cup maple syrup [dressing]
- 1 To make the salad: Place arugula, tomatoes, watermelon, feta, pistachios and mint in a large serving bowl.
- 2 To make the dressing: In a small skillet, add the vinegar and maple syrup, bring to a boil, and cook at a rapid boil for 8 to 10 minutes or just until the mixture bubbles on the entire surface and is slightly syrupy. Do not overcook, or the syrup will get too thick.