SUPERFOOD // TOMATO:
It’s no secret that I’m a fan of grilling, and what I love about this recipe is that you can grill AND bake this dish. This dish is a simplified version of a Middle Eastern classic. The spice blend is super tasty and works beautifully well with all the fresh veggies in this dish. A great summer staple.
Recipe by Roger Mooking Courtesy of SUNSET®
Za’atar Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (Za’atar)
- 3 tbsp dried thyme (Za’atar)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (Za’atar)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (Za’atar)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (Za’atar)
- 2 Viola™ eggplants (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 2 small zucchinis (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 2 Yore™ tomatoes (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- Olive oil for grilling (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1 1/2 tsp za’atar (above) (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1 tsp tahini (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1/4 c pomegranate seeds (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1 tbsp fresh dill (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- Kosher salt to taste (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- Freshly ground black peppercorns to taste (Grilled Yore™ & Viola™ Bake)
- 1 Za'atar // Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- 2 Preheat oven to 400° F and preheat grill pan to high.
- 3 Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Toss pieces in 1 teaspoon olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place each zucchini half cut side down on hot grill pan and grill until nicely marked, about 1-2 minutes. Zucchini will still be firm. Transfer zucchini to a cutting board and cut each piece into four equal portions.
- 4 Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil onto cut sides and season with salt and pepper. Place each eggplant half cut side down on hot grill pan and grill until nicely marked and very slightly softened, about 4-5 mins each side. Set aside.
- 5 Nestle zucchini and eggplant pieces grilled-side up in a single layer into a large shallow ceramic or glass oven-safe baking dish.
- 6 Cut each Yore™ tomato in half horizontally and place each half, cut side up, into the baking dish as well. (Try to keep the vegetables in a single layer for most even cooking.) Drizzle remaining olive oil over vegetables, evenly season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of za’atar blend and season well with salt and pepper.
- 7 Cover dish tightly with foil and bake 30-35 minutes, until zucchini is just cooked through and tomatoes softened. Remove foil carefully.
- 8 Season evenly with lemon juice and zest. Drizzle with tahini and garnish with pomegranate seeds and fresh dill. Serve warm.
Purchasing toasted sesame seeds or lightly toasting your own seeds, brings out the natural oils for a deeper and richer taste and more authentic dish.
Store leftover za’atar in an airtight container. Use the extra spice blend on chicken, vegetables, beef or rice for your next meal.
®/™ are trademarks of Mastronardi Produce Limited. © 2018 Mastronardi Produce Limited. All rights reserved.